3.04.2010

Is Bipartisanship Possible


The media is full of false prophets of agitation, trying to rally support to one side or the other. If I watch those shows and listen to politicians my throat gets tight and I can feel my blood get up. The feeling is just an impotent rage, directed inward, and it only harms me. I have to turn it off and remember the sun is still going to rise and fall, winter will be cold and summer hot. But that seems to be what politics is about, picking sides. I must admit though I'm biased. Even though I think that I am right of center, I still would prefer to vote for a Democrat. My reason though is pretty cynical: I just think Democrats are a tad bit less hypocritical than Republicans.

Republicans say that they are for small government and pro business. It seems to me that they're for big government and big business. Democrats say they're the party of the people, but they seem to be for big government and complaining about Republicans. I don't pretend to be an informed voter. I don't watch the news on TV nor do I read the newspaper much. So my impressions of the two candidates for Texas governor are pretty simple: Rick Perry, used to be a Democrat, now he's Republican. He's a waffler. Bill White use to be mayor of Houston. I got an email from his campaign that repeatedly stated that "Texans want a new governor". That just smacks of close-minded political campaign jibber-jabber.

I want to know who's best for Texas because I would like to think that I'm for what's right instead of just thinking that I'm right. So before the election I will research what the issues are, research each side's position and decide who I'm for. I'm a conservative Democrat but I'll give Perry a chance to make me cross the aisle and I'll give White a chance to get me to vote. And if I start to feel my blood pressure rise, I'll step back, bow my head, and remind myself what is important in my life. But if those candidates start preaching, and they say that we're living in non-God affirming Sodom and flag burning Gomorrah, well it's not going to do them much good running for city council.

No comments: